Tuesday 31 December 2013

On the Last Day of 2013

I had an errand to run in town today so Tiger and I went out bright and early in the morning. 


By noon time, London began to get really busy.


Our stomachs were rumbling by the time we arrived at Chinatown for lunch.

 

The weather was not very good today.  In fact, it was mostly wet, windy, and cold. 

 

It was pouring down when we got to Trafalgar Square, so we spent a good few hours at the National Gallery admiring and learning about Viennese portraits at The Portrait in Vienna 1900 Exhibition.

 

After indulging our visual senses at the gallery, with the sky still not brightening up at all, we decided to pop into another one of our favourite haunts:


Another few happy hours spent in the bookshop made me realised how very easy-to-please Tiger and I are: just leave us in a bookshop and we can entertain ourselves very happily for a long time.


While Tiger was deeply engrossed in his reading, I was happily sipping latte (we were sitting near the cafe inside the bookshop) and reading my own choice of book which I think is quite appropriate for new year's eve.  This book has given me much food for thought and I couldn't have read it at a better time.


When Tiger next looked at his watch, it was time to come home.  We just felt that it was getting darker, and many people were starting to arrive in London for the New Year's Eve countdown.  We didn't want to get stuck in London for the night, so we headed home before the big party started.


Now, in the warm comfort of my own home, I am waiting for the new year to arrive in a few minutes.  Here's wishing everyone a very happy 2014!



This post is linked up to:
  1. Hip Homeschool Hop - 12/31/2013
  2. Entertaining and Educational - Christmas Crafts for Kids
  3. The Homeschool Mother's Journal {December 28, 2013}

6 comments:

  1. What lovely pictures of London! After reading this I felt like I'd had a perfect day out, too. :-)
    Happy New Year! I'm looking forward to following your adventures in 2014 - thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too, Lucinda! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I could think of when reading this post was ' Are you nuts?!' You are a braver woman than me to go to London New Year's eve! Venturing out to our nearest small town a few miles away would be manic enough, but London? Are you nuts?!!!
    Have a wonderful new year, Hwee, full of many exciting learning opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I know, Claire! I wouldn't have ventred into London that day if I hadn't had the errand to do! Luckily we left the city before the countdown crowd got in. I would have stayed for the night if I wasn't with a child, but alas, I had to be a sensible mother and to bring my son home before the party started. :-)

    I'm looking forward to reading about your learning adventures in the new year too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote from the bookstore, how wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the quote appropriate, Ticia! That's why it caught my eye too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...